Excellent teachers deserve recognition for their contributions to improving neurology now and in the future. Teaching binds students, residents, faculty, other clinicians, researchers, and even patients, together and helps make our daily work more meaningful. This award demonstrates respect and appreciation for neurologic teaching.
Recipients will receive a certificate of recognition from the AAN. . The AAN will not judge the excellence of the nominated teachers, but will rely on the nominating statement and the local award or commendation, as listed below.
- Nominee or applicant must be an Active AAN member, which is defined as a physician certified in neurology or child neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec.
- Nominee or applicant must have been awarded a local award or commendation for teaching excellence within the previous three (3) years (2016, 2017, or 2018) and a copy of local award/commendation must accompany the application or nomination.
- Individuals who have received an AAN national award or an A. B. Baker Teacher Recognition Award within the previous three years (2015, 2016, or 2017) are not eligible for the 2018 A. B. Baker Teacher Recognition Award.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- Only one teacher will be recognized (in this manner) per medical school, independent medical institution, or neurologic practice per year, except under extraordinary circumstances.
- Applications must be submitted online.
- Nominations/applications must include a statement letter that includes:
o Nominee’s/applicant’s name and institution
o Name of local award/commendation (copy of award/commendation must accompany application)
- An individual may submit his/her own name along with documentation that he/she has been recognized locally by award or commendation for teaching excellence.
August 23, 2018—October 24, 2018 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time)
For more information, please contact Bridget McDonald at email@example.com
Program Manager, Undergraduate & K-12 Education
Congratulations to the 2018 Recipients
- Daniel DiCapua, MD, Yale University, School of Medicine
- Rebecca E. Fasano, MD, Emory University
- Eoin P. Flanagan, MBBCh, Mayo Clinic, Rochester
- Naim I. Haddad, MD, Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
- Kimberly S. Jones, MD, University of Kentucky
- Marwa Kaisey, MD, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Margaret L. McDermott, MD, UMHS Cardiovascular Center
- James F. Meschia, MD, FAAN, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville
- Aaron L. Nelson, MD, NYU Langone Health
- Michael Ronthal, MD, FAAN, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Bogachan Sahin, MD, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Deanna Saylor, MD, MHS, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Michael J. Schneck, MD, FAAN, Loyola University
- Courtney Schusse, MD, Barrow Neurological Institute
- Megan M. Shanks, MD, Rush University
- Jonathan K. Smith, MD, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- Jonathan D. Snider, MD, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Kara Stavros, MD, Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Melissa D. Svoboda, MD, The Children's Hospital of San Antonio
- Anthony J. Vaughn, MD, Mercy Health Center
- Mary A. Willis, MD, Cleveland Clinic