Clerkship directors are dedicated teachers who devote considerable time and energy to this task, often with little support. Many directors have developed extensive curricula, teaching tools, and outcome assessments to enhance neurology education. This award recognizes individuals who have dedicated themselves to neurology education, not only creating future generations of neurologists but also teaching neurology to students choosing other disciplines.
If applicable, one recipient will be selected annually and receive a certificate of recognition from the AAN.
- Nominees must have an Active AAN membership, which is defined as a physician certified in neurology or child neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted
- Previous applications (non-recipients) may be considered in the current year’s applications; previous applications must be resubmitted
- Nominees must be a current clerkship director who has been in the position for at least one year; site directors and co-clerkship directors who have been in their positions for at least one year are also eligible
- Individuals who have received an AAN Clerkship Director Teaching Award within the previous three years (2017, 2018, or 2019) are not eligible for the 2020 award
How to apply
- Applications must be submitted online
- Nominations and self-nominations will be accepted
- Nominations and applications should be inclusive, and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Nominations must include a letter of recommendation
- Applications must include:
o The nominee’s CV
o A statement describing measured outcomes, educational instruments, or teaching innovations developed by the nominee
o A letter of support from either the nominee’s department Chair or an Administrator or Dean from the nominee’s home institution
- Other materials which are not required, but will be used to judge the nominee’s application might include:
o Letter of interest
o Documentation of success of the clerkship or external validation of teaching tools used by the program
o Letter(s) of support from directors or educators who have worked with the Clerkship Director and recognize his or her excellence in teaching or educational innovations
Note: If more than one letter of support from student, directors, or educators is submitted, please combine documents into one pdf to upload.
August 23, 2019–October 25, 2019 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time)
For more information, please contact Genevieve Gates at email@example.com
Manager, Undergraduate Medical Education & K-12
2019: Diana M. Barratt, MD, MPH, FAAN
2018: Rachel Marie Salas, MD, FAAN
2017: Raghav Govindarajan, MD
2016: Cara E. Harth, MD, FAAN
2015: Joseph E. Safdieh, MD, FAAN
2014: Brian J. Anziska, MD, BCh; and David Lee Gordon, MD, FAHA, FAAN
2013: Jaffar Khan, MD, FAAN
2012: Imran I. Ali, MD, FAAN
2011: Douglas J. Gelb, MD, PhD, FAAN