Sheila Essey Award: An Award for ALS Research
Presented by the AAN and the ALS Association and supported through the philanthropy of the Essey family and the ALS Association.
This award recognizes an individual who has made significant research contributions in the search for the cause, prevention of, and cure for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The criteria being used to determine the recipient include recent major scientific impact, long-term scientific impact, and overall impact to ALS.
Recipient is expected to present a 20-minute lecture during a scientific session at the 68th AAN Annual Meeting.
Recipient will receive:
- Certificate of recognition and $50,000 prize to be used by recipient to continue ALS research
- Complimentary registration for 68th Annual Meeting
- Recognition at 2016 Awards Luncheon at 68th Annual Meeting
Must be actively engaged in ALS research
Applicants should submit one complete set of the following materials:
- Completed application formNote: Under general description: describe how scientific contributions have created a better understanding of ALS; why applicant should receive award; and why contributions represent a major advance or hold significance in ALS research in terms of identifying the cause, potential treatment, prevention, or cure.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Letter from colleague summarizing applicant's body of work including:
- Relevant background material
- Research accomplishments placed in context
- Assessment of the direct or indirect impact of contributions to the understanding of ALS
- Supporting information (not to exceed three pages), including:
- Single page biography including previous positions and any awards or recognition received
- One- to two-page listing of six to ten peer-reviewed journal references that support statements about contributions to ALS research (do not send reprints or a bibliography)
The 2016 scientific award application deadline has now passed. Applicants will be notified of the outcome in late January 2016.
For more information or questions, please contact email@example.com.