Designed for neurology residents who are interested in a career in research in neuroscience. This award is intended to be a springboard into the AAN's Research Program or other programs focused on early-career investigators. In its inaugural year, there will be three awards offered at $3,000 each.
Offers residents a stipend to conduct a project in a clinical setting where there are ongoing programs of research, service or training, or in a private practice setting.
- Applicant must be in good standing in a neurology residency training program in the US or Canada.
- Applicant must be a member of the AAN.
- Project must not be an already completed project.
- The research being conducted MUST be based on or involving a topic relevant to neurology.
- Recommendation letter and committed guidance from a mentor. A mentor CV is encouraged.
- Mentor must confirm compliance with local IRB requirements regarding resident’s role in human subjects’ research.
- Applications in which the role of the resident is not clearly defined will not be considered.
- Application and reward process will occur in 2019 with completion of the research within one year.
- Additional sources of funding for the proposed project are allowed; however, applicants must provide information regarding what funds have been received.
- The awardee will required to present results at a future AAN Annual Meeting.
- Resident name and contact information including phone and email address.
- Supervising mentoring physician name and contact information including phone and email address.
- Title of project.
- Specific aim(s) of the project: List as specific aims, the specific objectives for the research proposed. If the research is part of a larger project, briefly describe the goals of the over-all project and how the proposed research is related. The resident should concisely state his/her specific role I the project, and the outcomes expected for each specific aim.
- Background and significance: Explain the importance to neurology of the problem motivating this research, here and elsewhere; indicate citations by number in parentheses, corresponding to their order of appearance in the references cited.
- Experimental design: Keyed to the specific aims, describe the experiments/studies intended and the experimental and analytical methods that will be used.
- References: List authors, titles of article, journal, book, volume, pages, year; list citations numerically in the order in which they appear in the application.
- Mentorship: Describe arrangements made with the mentor and associates for structured guidance.
- 2-page limit for research proposal including bibliography.
- Residents are encouraged to think practically and realistically about the cost of their proposal.
- The scholarship amount is $3,000 regardless of the size of your formal budget.
- 1/2 page for budget and budget justification.
3. Curriculum Vitae
Including a mentor CV is encouraged.
4. Letter from Research Mentor
Letter of recommendation from the preceptor / supervising attending physician.
Resident will return the following upon being notified of award:
- A Statement of Intent form, signed by resident and mentoring physician, supplied with award notification letter.
- W-9 or W-8BEN Tax form for Canadian citizens
Resident will submit the following within 3 months after project completion:
- A one-page abstract of the project
- Evaluation forms completed by the resident and mentoring physician, supplied with the winner notification letter
Award, Presentation and Publication:
- Any publications resulting from the funded project must acknowledge the support of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN). Upon publication, copies should be forwarded to the AAN.
- Recipient will provide the AAN with name, year of Resident Clinical Research Scholarship award received, hospital or clinic, publications, presentations and/or awards related to the research project, presentations relating to the research project.
- Scholarship winners agree to submit their abstract to the AAN for the Annual Meeting Scientific Program. The AAN’s acceptance of the abstract is not guaranteed.
This scholarship is offered once a year. The application period is 07/15/2019 - 09/01/2019 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time).
For more information, please contact Michelle Maxwell at email@example.com.